Saturday, September 10, 2011

Ango 2011 - Day 8



  • Morning Zazen 70 Min (7:15am)
    • Woke up late this morning, jumped out of bed and hit the zafu as quick as I could so I could get a sit in before the house woke up.
    • In the interest of time I decided to forego the G+ Hangout and just do an Insight Timer on my phone.   I set the timer to 45 min and began my sit.
    • About 65 Minutes in I felt like it was running a bit long so glanced at the clock nearby and noticed  it was now 8:20!  Grabbed my phone to see that I forgot to hit start. :)
    • Fortunately only my wife had awaken and kids were all still asleep...modern day miracle!
  • Sewing Practice
    • Spent a few hours today cutting and sewing a zagu (bowing mat).  I wanted to have this for an upcoming trip to Zen Mountain Monastery so figured I'd take care of that before the okesa I'm steadily working on and the rakusu I should be doing for Jukai.
    • Using Tomoe Katagiri's guide for the instructions but finding them a bit light.  Also, the measurements seem a tad bit off...but maybe it's just my cutting job. :)
    • I did the morning part of my sewing on G+ Hangout and Engyo stopped by and we got to chat for a bit.  Was really nice!  
    • So far the kagami is attached to the backpiece and I have one of the four ens on.
    • Spent most of this practice meditating on the victims of war and terrorism.  Much metta to them.
  • Shakuhachi Practice
    • I spent some time practicing the shaku today, although it was not formal, I did play off and on most of the day.  
    • Again I focused on Choshi and I think I'm actually getting a wee bit better...still brutal, but better.
  • Shobo Study
    • Still on Power of the Robe...enjoying it immensly, like a well marinated portobello mushroom.
    • Today was the discussion on Buddha's previous lives and how he sought merit and specially powers for the okesa when he was a Bodhisattva.  Was very interesting and first time I've read this section.
  • Evening Zazen 30 Min (10:30pm)
    • Was quite a bit later than normal but tonight was movie night with the kiddos so had to delay.
    • Sat alone on Google+

No comments:

Post a Comment