Monday, September 12, 2011

Ango 2011 - Day 10



  • Morning Zazen (60 Min)
  • Shobogenzo Study
    • Continued on with Power of the Robe and read more about Shakyamuni Buddha's previous life as Mahakaruna Bodhisattva and the merit's earned by his commitment to the kashaya.
    • Found it humorous that even people that wear the kashaya as a joke or for profit will gain merit.  
  • Meal Gatha
    • Had lunch with a vendor from work today and before I ate I gasshoed and silently recited a meal gatha.
    • I was more worried about making them feel uncomfortable, than really my feeling uncomfortable.  But then I figured that I'm the guy paying them for their product, so they can suck it up...with metta. :)
  • Sewing Projects
    • Went to pick up some more cloth for the okesa project but they were out of it...not a good sign.
    • Was going to use the same colour as the kesa for the rakusu, but since they were out I instead picked up some olive green.  
    • Also bought some thicker thread (I don't like the flimsy stuff).  It's harder to work with but find it more reliable.  
    • Finally, I picked up a magnetic pin cushion...so nobody in the family ends up stuck. 
    • Found it funny that I was actually excited about going there.  I think Taigu is rubbing off on me.  I can remember when I used to go with my wife and dread it.  I felt so out of place.  Now I'm just one of the Golden Girls.
  • Shakuhachi
    • Practiced this morning for a while outside while it wasn't scorching heat yet. 
    • My wife was working on her computer while I was practicing robuki (Blowing the lowest note over and over again as loud as you can).  I mostly did it to bug her because I secretly resent her giving more attention to work than me...but don't tell her that.
    • Decided today that I would sell my guitar equipment in an effort to get a bit extra cash to buy a 'real' shakuhachi.   So I sold my old Schecter Classic and Crate Amp for $300.   Private sale the guitar was probably worth $500 but I really didn't want to have to deal with the hassle.
    • $500 more to go and I'll pick up maybe this 1.8 from Monty Levenson and finally will be able to play perfectly...as I'm sure it's the instrument holding me back. ;)
  • Evening Zazen (30 Mins)

No comments:

Post a Comment